Earlier today I did something I have never done before. I instagrammed a picture of a bubble bath. Yes I have mold in the corner of the grout.
Why did I do this?
Because I was thinking about this all day. How do you de-stress? Yes, You?? Comment on this post and tell me how. Most people – I think – de stress in the following ways:
- Going Out With Friends and Drinking
- Watching Their Favorite Show while Eating Oreos or Chips and Dip and Drinking Wine
- Going to the Gym and Lifting
Small ChildrenLarge Weights for 3 hours Straight
- Running on Concrete/Pavement For 3 hours Straight
- Smoking Something and Listening to Bob Marley
I went to college, I know what you people do.
But the problem with this is – that these activities might actually be stressing out your body more and you don’t even realize it. Especially considering most of these activities could interfere with you getting a good nights rest.
Going Out With Friends and Drinking
You go out with friends and binge drink. This is fun for a couple hours, but you are leaving your body dehydrated, mal-nutritioned (Is that not a word?), and begging for relief.
Watching a Favorite Show While Eating Oreos or Chips and Dip and Drinking Wine
You watch your favorite show and binge eat, and now you’re full, hyped up on sugar, your immune system is being depleted, and in 3 days your skin will begin breaking out and you’ll wonder why. Not to mention, your brain is now over stimulated and you likely won’t get an adequate sleep. And if you do, you might wake up with indigestion. It had to be said.
Doing an Intense Work Out For an Elongated Amount of Time
You work out too hard – you stress your muscles and your body goes into overdrive trying to repair them, which can result in you getting sick, or feeling more tired than you need to. You run on concrete, which causes your joints to slowly deteriorate leading you to a knee surgery in 10 years. (Side note here: 10 minutes on a rebounder *mini trampoline* is equal to 30 minutes jogging. It’s GOOD for your joints, therapeutic, efficient, endorsed by NASA, and costs $29.99 on amazon)
And if you’re smoking and listening to Bob Marley, I don’t even have a comment for you. You do you.
Regardless, take a step back and think about if your “de-stressing” mechanism is doing you more harm than good. Ways to really de stress your body should include giving it all the nutrients and hydration it needs, while providing it the essential rest and relaxation it deserves after a long day.
People ask me what “I do” when I say I don’t like to go out on a Friday or Saturday night. What do I like to do? I’ll tell you right now. I like to Treat Myself and Recharge after a long, stressful week. Here are ways you, too, can de-stress the proper way:
- Take a Bubble Bath
- Cook a Nutritious Dinner and Serve with Fresh Pressed Juice
- Read an Inspirational Book While Cuddled Up in Your Favorite Blanket Drinking Tea
- Do a Craft, Relax your brain while working parts of it you don’t work during the day
- Write in a Journal or a Blog and Reflect on your Life
- Read the Bible
- Pray to God
- Get a Massage
- Rebound on a Mini Trampoline (Google this; you’ll be surprised how much comes up!)
- Go Tanning for 5 minutes maximum to get some Vitamin D in the winter
- Sit in Nature and Listen to Music
- Take a Walk around the Block and Meet New Neighbors
- Go To the Dog Park and Maybe Someone Will Let you Play With Their Dog (I do this in the summer. Side note: Do not swap “Dog Park” with “Children’s Park” – not the same – you’ll get reported)
- Go To a Museum
- Talk to a Friend, Really Talk, Not Just “Drink Together” talk
- Learn to Play an Instrument
- Practice that Instrument
- Learn a New Language
- Research Your Ancestry
There are numerous things you can do to de-stress that don’t involve a) Putting toxins in your body or b) Putting your body under Physical Stress.
And that’s all I have to say about that