Well, this recipe was actually an accident. It’s Sunday afternoon, and I need to cook my meals for the week – but knew I had a lot of different odds and ends in my fridge and pantry that I wanted to use up.
What I really had a taste for this week was some chicken and fish salad – but sometimes you just have to put cravings aside and make do with what you have. What I have found, is when I do that, I end up forgetting what my craving was for in the first place!
By my original ingredients picture below, you can see that I was really going toward a “vegetable stew” route. However, after further investigation of the kale and broth, it morphed itself into a mac & cheese dish!
Here’s the formal Ingredient list and recipe – I started out with some kale and broth, too – but after further investigation decided they had gone kind of bad and they were removed!:
- Chopped Onion
- Tomato Paste
- Cheddar & Mozzarella Cheese
*Note that you can make this with any vegetable, any noodle, and any cheese!
- Fill a pot with water and fill with broccoli, corn, onion, and macaroni (Water should cover all ingredients by about 1/2 inch)
- Bring to a boil, and then let boil with the lid off until almost all the water is absorbed
- Put in 1/2 can of tomato paste
- In a separate skillet, melt a couple handfuls of cheddar cheese into about 1/2 – 3/4 cups of milk
- Top the macaroni dish with the cheese sauce and season to taste
- Serve with shredded mozzarella cheese on top